Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Love At First Bite? - Justino's Pizza (10th Ave.)

Scattered throughout NYC (Staten Island too) is Justino's Pizzeria. I lived on Staten Island for nearly 15 years and I honestly never heard of them but that has no larger meaning since I wasn't an official member of the Staten Island Pizza Society (SIPS).

Nestled in the heart of NYC, on 10th Ave by 57th, Justino's is not much more than a small store front to grab a slice or a pie to go - further proving that the NYC landscape is incomplete sans a pizzeria every few blocks. Does Justino's deliver? Yes, literally. But what about the figurative? Is their slice worth your hard earned dollars? According to their menu it says, "Love at first bite." I'm not sure if I'd get that carried away but it is a clever slogan and I'm a fan of those. I'm also a fan of long walks on the beach, candlelight dinners, Spanish poetry...but let's talk pizza. I am pretty sure they also reference their SI presence and I really doubt that anyone in NYC, specifically that area in NYC even knows the general direction that SI is in.

I think they deserve a look. Ordering a whole pie for delivery is always a tricky task as the pie will often get mushy from the steam effect inside the box. The steam effect, for those who don't know, has an end result of a soggy dough and crust, thus making the pizza chewier than it should be. Not terrible but it's not the ideal situation to gauge your pizza experience. At Justino's, the sauce did have a nice flavor and the pizza was not too thick and doughy (thankfully or else the steam would have given it a bubble gum texture. 
In contrast to the pie was a single, solitary white slice. Again, the best way to gauge a pizzeria is by how their slices are and this white slice can really hold it's own. Cheese, garlic, fresh basil. Wow. And the size was formidable and the crust packed a very nice crunch.

Rating - 3.5/5 - The plain cheese was a tad salty but not overwhelming. The white slice was divine, I loved the copious amounts of garlic and fresh basil. I would certainly go here again as I am curious about their "L&B Style Square."

Oh, and there's really no such thing as the SIPS but if anyone wants to start one the name belongs to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment